Wednesday, January 8, 2014


I want to do everything,  I want to be happy.
I go to a very good high school, and I am grateful for my education. When you enter high school, suddenly you are bombarded with questions about what you want to do for the rest of your life. And when you enter a very good high school the only expectable answer is college, a major in something practical, and a stable, long lasting career. On New Year’s Eve I reconnected with a guy I used to know.  I found out that in the year we had not spoken he had moved to New Zealand and was doing amazing, inspiring things. I started thinking about what I had done in that same year and realized I was in almost the same place I started the year in, which was not to say a good place. And you see this friend he didn’t go to Minnetonka High school, he went to a public school in Minneapolis. His life after high school was not mapped out by generations of family members and expectations from parents. He got to choose his future. There is a theory in sociology that human beings are born with many talents and societies and cultures such as those in America force human beings into a single talent. Most people are unhappy in this aspect because it means that they are not living up to their full potential.  I like physics, and writing, and genetics and cooking. I don’t want to choose. I think college is the right choice for me, and maybe that is because I was raised with that belief that college was important, and it is. And to do any of the things I want to do I need an education but I don’t want to be unhappy doing only one thing. I want to do everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment